After working with emerging companies for the past 10 years to help them overcome market and business growth hurdles, Colorado Emerging Ventures (a program of Boulder SBDC) developed the TechVenture Series, which consists of a cohort program that will help accelerate the growth and development of businesses in key Colorado industry growth sectors: bioscience, IT, aerospace, clean tech and advanced manufacturing.
What is a cohort program?
- The program is a multi-session series format in which the group of participating businesses will attend all sessions and progress together through the business growth topics.
- Participants will share their own experiences and knowledge, developing creative solutions and building a support network in a cohort learning environment. Each session will be a facilitated, open-discussion format with other executives who share similar business challenges.
- There will be content specialists on hand to lend expertise.
What will be covered?
To help businesses accelerate their growth and development and overcome growth hurdles, the following topics will be discussed:
- Sizing market opportunities
- Managing channel strategies
- Business model innovation
- Growth issues
- How to build a team and retain, manage and compensate
- Benchmarking and tracking progress
- Protecting intellectual property
- Commercialization strategies
- Strategic alliances
- Key resources
- Key partnerships
Materials utilized for the program include Business Model Generation by Osterwalder & Pigneur.
Does this sound familiar?
“We all come from the technology side – not business. We’re starting to reach our market and there’s so much potential, but now we are experiencing challenges that we know others have overcome before. We want to know how they solved it.”
“We’re scientists. We spent 5 years honing the science, now ready to go to market. We could use help.”
If this resonates for you, the TechVenture Series may be a great fit for your company. We are looking for founders and C-level leaders and executive managers in bioscience, IT, aerospace, clean tech, and advanced manufacturing.
Outside of the cohort group, each business receives customized consulting assistance. You and your business team can meet with commercialization specialists who assist with:
- Relevant market research to inform your upcoming decisions
- Strategic and tactical consulting to match your situation
- A facilitated Business Model Canvas exercise for your company which can
- Result in a strategic and actionable Growth Plan
2019 Series Dates
Full Day Kickoff:
- Friday, August 23, 2019 | 8:00 AM to 5:00 PM
- Friday, September 27, 2019 | 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Friday, October 4, 2019 | 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Friday, October 18, 2019 | 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- Friday, November 1, 2019 | 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM
Boulder Public Library
Boulder Creek Meeting Room (1st Floor)
1001 Arapahoe Avenue
Boulder, CO 80302
- $2,495/normal registration
- $325 for businesses based in Boulder, thanks to a generous sponsorship from the City of Boulder)
“We are physicists, who have been engaged with NASA, researching and developing products for years. Now, we are faced with the launch and commercialization of our first B2B product. We joined the TechVenture program with the hope of learning more about business development. We were thrilled with the quality and depth of the program which seemed to speak directly to our needs. The format of the cohort meeting suited us well, as we were able to ask questions and delve deeply into the topics that have the most direct impact on our activities at work right now. Hearing the experiences of other tech companies and learning from the speakers who spoke with us (instead of at us) gave us the know-how and confidence in how to approach our new market.”
Geoff Crowley, PH.D.
CEO and Chief Scientist, ASTRA, LLC
“The TechVenture program was a great experience. I am a technologist so my business experience is limited. Meeting other people who are in somewhat similar stage of business development was very useful. We have had a lot of peer-to-peer conversation during our meetings. It was refreshing to see that many other businesses and their founders are facing very similar challenges. The SBDC staff is very knowledgeable and they bring interesting consultants with various business backgrounds. The format of open discussion with them was very good, since we have had lively interactions with consultants and asked them questions relevant to our situation. As one of the speakers said, nobody understands your situation better than a fellow entrepreneur. I am looking forward to alumni meetings.”
Marian Klein, Ph.D.
CEO, Boulder Environmental Sciences and Technology
The 2019 TechVenture Series was developed with funding from JPMorgan Chase Foundation, in collaboration with CO-LABS, Colorado BioScience Association, CAMA, CPIA, Longmont Economic Development Partnership, Manufacturer’s Edge, Colorado Technology Association, and other partners.